Monday, April 7, 2014

One Decision Will Shape Your Life Forever.



By Brianna D.

The book that I read for this month was Insurgent by Veronica Roth.  It is the sequel to the highly praised book Divergent and continues to be part of the dystopian genre . Insurgent picks up right where Divergent ended. The Dauntless faction is destroyed. The society is at war with the Erudite and the Dauntless traitors against all others remaining. Divergence is valuable because of their unique ability to withhold simulations. During this novel, Tris will have to embrace her divergence to help her friends and save the people of the factions. Tris and Tobias now running from Jeannie have to make unlikely allies and make deals with people who will do the unthinkable.



I have to say that this book overall left me at the edge of my seat after every page. It did not have a very slow introduction and the reader did not have to wait a long amount of time for the action to proceed from the previous novel. I also enjoyed how the author went really in depth with every single detail and made it clear how each character was feeling. With her writing the book, this way it was easy to follow and I was not left asking questions. I enjoyed that the reader was still learning about the different factions and how they all work to achieve their main goal. It was interesting and gave the reader a bit of time away from the actions and problems the characters were working out throughout the whole book. The main character Tris was going through an emotional roller coaster. She had to deal with the death of her parents and the guilt of killing her friend, Will. These are real emotions that Tris experiences throughout the book and I feel that it adds a personal touch to the novel and makes the reader feel nothing ,but compassion for Tris after all that she had to deal with during the first two books.  Another part that I enjoyed was how Insurgent picked up right where Divergent ended. This is my favorite way to continue a book because the reader is not left wondering what happened during the time author did not explain. One thing I wished would have been changed was the how all we saw was sad and a bit depressed Tris. Even though I found it real and interesting, I feel that throughout the whole book she stays in this mindset and only gets through it by the end.
I was overall content with how Veronica Roth wrote this novel. I feel that it was not a let down by any means and was just as good or maybe even better than the first novel.The action and romance between Tobias and Tris is unforgettable.  If you have read Divergent and are wary of going second book syndrome, do not worry because it is definitely worth the five hundred and twenty-five pages.This book can be found at any bookstore and library.

Insurgent, by Veronica Roth, Katherine Tegen Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2012, 525 pages






No comments:

Post a Comment