Monday, April 7, 2014

A Perfect Princess


By Upasana I.

Set in Manhattan, New York, Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries is the story of an ordinary ninth grader whose life changes when she finds out she is the princess and the future ruler of a country. Everything she thought she had figured out becomes the most complicated part of her life and she begins to wonder if she can handle it all.
Mia Thermopolis, an ordinary ninth grader who lives in Greenwich Village in lower Manhattan, thinks very low of herself and has barely any self-confidence. She lives with her single mother. Her biggest worries in life start with her crush on Josh Richter, the hottest boy in school, avoiding Lana, the bully, to getting good grades and keeping her friends.
But when her father comes by to tell her that she is the heir to the Genovian throne, Mia's life changes completely. Now, attending balls, taking princess lessons and spending time with her Grandmère, the queen of Genovia, become priorities in her life and she is unsure whether she can handle it all. 
Cabot's writing makes me want to keep reading. Her amazing talent at keeping the vernacular of the characters going throughout the book brings the characters to life. I feel I am actually living the story. Mia is the type of character you can relate with in the beginning of the book but after her life changes, she becomes a completely different person. When things start to take an unpredictable turn, the story pulls the reader in and makes them want to know more. The book's ending leads on for the sequel, The Princess Diaries, Volume II: Princess in the Spotlight, which I expect to be great. This is the first book of Cabot's that I am reading and I already love her style of writing. I am definitely looking forward to reading the sequel to The Princess Diaries and I expect to read the other twelve books in the series as well. I encourage you to read this book as I feel it is one of the best books I have read and I think you will feel that way too!

The Princess Diaries, by Meg Cabot, Harper Collins Publishers, 2000, 325 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment