Thursday, June 9, 2016

Read This Book and You Might Actually Write A Novel

By Ashley J


This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley had great insight into the world of writing. A lot of which, actually, I learned in Creative writing. Although, I think, this had better descriptions as to what things like third and first person narration was, the concepts were mostly the same as what I was taught. A few things I was nodding my head to in agreement. Things like how procrastination is a writer's worst enemy. I completely agree with that, my writers block and avoidance of the story usually means it takes me a month to write a three paged chapter that isn't really all that great.



This novel explained a lot of things that either Mr. Greene didn't or things he did explain, I just didn't understand thoroughly enough. For example, this novel, while it didn't go into great depth, explained how describing the scenes and characters make the difference between just telling the reader. Things I sadly have a very bad habit of doing.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve how they write. It goes through everything from the process, like writing every day, to getting published.

No comments:

Post a Comment