Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Scary or Not? (Weak on criticism and most all else)


By Pam G. 

This book holds ten short horror stories. Most of them more comedic then scary.  Murder and mayhem abound in this sweeping panorama of dreadful doings. When TV personality Marcus Fantail orders a ghost for his retirement home, he gets more than he bargained for. The ghost in Miss Sibley's old mill may be small, but its power has lasted for centuries. Marjorie detests her new stepfather and finds a horrifying way of showing it--not that she's dead! With zest and humor, Joan Aiken conjures up ten spooky tales that create a ghastly collection sure to chill and delight readers well into the night. ----- This past weekend I did read the first three stories until quite late in the night...and I suppose I'm not easily scared. That's not to say they aren't fantastic stories, similar to Poe in theme and mood and scare-factor, but definitely 20th century. Two of the three I read have perplexing endings I had to spend time puzzling over. I think that's what I enjoyed most about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment