Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My Writing Is Poop. Now I Know How To Not Make It Poop.


By Cady Q.
Just Write: Here's How was a very informational read, despite being short. Walter Dean Myers dispenses his writing advice in a very frank fashion which I found to be very appealing. I also think the tone and style of Myer's writing – which is pretty much to the point – meets teens on their level without being condescending.



I appreciated the planning process and the tips for conquering writer's block. As I was reading, I discovered that this is exactly what I was having problems with. I love creating characters, and I like creating all of the challenges the characters go through in my mind, and watching them overcome, but I'm terrible at pacing and making conclusions to my stories.  Myer's gave great tips on how to plan prior to making a story.

As for the merit of Myer's advice, I think it comes from a place of vast experience. He writes about developing work ethic and I think that he has a great point. He also talks about drawing from life experiences, research and outlines.

Just Write: Here's How by Walter Dean Myers is a relatively quick read with less than 170 pages.. I think that it would be a great book to read in language arts/writing class. My only complaint about this book is that it's somewhat repetitive. I feel like some parts were repeated just to have more pages.



No comments:

Post a Comment