Thursday, May 19, 2016

A book that will waste your time


By Ashley N.


I had the pleasure and displeasure of reading the book Looking for Alaska by John Green. I'm not all that free for reading but I put it the effort to read this book which was questionable. In the beginning of the book I related to Pudge not liking the school and wanting to leave looking for the "Great Perhaps" because I too romanticize the idea of leaving somewhere, starting anew, in search for something great to happen. However like every generic teen tragedy book there was a curve where Alaska got drunk with Pudge and the Colonel and decided to drive "for some reason" and died in the crash when Pudge gave her the keys.

Pudge has this magical idea that she's not dead so he went looking for the reasoning. Throughout the book you watch as Pudge searches for answers to the disappearance and the struggles he goes through from it. In the end he discovers that Alaska died driving to visit her mom's grave because she forgot to bring her flowers. She brings her mother flowers every year and while drawing flowers on a phone log she realized she had forgotten this time. Making her impulsively decide to drive.

I really didn't like how they spent like a large amount of time explaining pranks and going through with said pranks and that was boring. I just didn't care for it which is just my opinion I get that it was for her but to me it lacked creativity.

Overall this book was pretty interesting with the plot and was original but I wouldn't say it's completely worth all the hype. However if given the time and patience I would read it again. It was a very descriptive book and easy to put yourself into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment