Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Book Where the Reader Overthinks Everything



by Amanda M.

The Fault in Our Stars, written by John Green,  tells a tragic tale of two ill-fated lovers. Hazel, a young cancer patient, tells this love story from her point of view. She falls in love with a young man, Augustus, who also battled cancer. This story leaves you rooting for the two, but waiting for the other foot to drop; for the heart-wrenching event that we know is going to happen to take place.


Author, John Green, slips references to other books and movies into his writing which I feel is one of the main things that makes this book relatable. His use of these references brings the story back to our lives, making the reader think "Oh yeah, I read that book when I was Hazel's age." I also appreciate the fact that, as a reader, not all of my questions were answered upon finishing the book. The title refers to a Shakespeare quote, but I feel like the meaning is not as one dimensional as the meaning behind the quote. It leaves the reader looking into the book's metaphors, wanting answers, but content with the possibilities our minds come up with.
The only thing that I didn't like about this story was the fact that it sped by. I understand that it was meant to be a "quick read," but I wish it would've expanded upon some things. Hazel's relationship with Augustus seemed very rushed. Green wrote about her feelings towards him, but the reader was rarely told about any events that made her feel this way. Maybe the author meant to do that, symbolizing their short-lived relationship. Who knows?
I would recommend this novel to anybody who is looking for quality reading material. Green definitely leaves the reader feeling emotionally attached to his characters and wanting to know more. You can find this novel practically anywhere. It's sold in bookstores, online, on your kindle, and it can be borrowed from both the school and public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment