Tuesday, May 6, 2014

An insight into the mind of a brilliant author

By Partha P.
Inside George Orwell is a biography on the famous author, George Orwell. It shed some light on Orwell's personal life and childhood.  The author of the biography, Gordon Bowker, did an excellent job writing this book. It takes you through the life of a brilliant, yet flawed man. With information from his sex life to his dealings with odder things life black magic. You learn about his first marriage, and then his second to a woman who is fifteen years younger than him. His actual name is Eric Arthur Blair, and although he published minor articles under the name E.A. Blair, his famous pen name is George Orwell. He was born 25 June 1903, but George Orwell was born January 1933. Orwell, like authors similar to Charles Dickens, used fiction for what he considered social injustice. Interestingly, he was not born in Britain, but instead in Motihari, India. He died at the young age of 46, on 21 January 1950. He was a brilliant author whose works always question the world around you.  

I was especially eager to read this biography since I have read two of Orwell's many books; Animal Farm and 1984. I enjoyed reading those books, so I was looking forward to learning more about him. I definitely appreciated this biography since I had read some of Orwell's works. I thought that Gordon Bowker did an outstanding job, showing us that Eric Blair was a man who made mistakes. The only thing I regret about this biography is that it did not focus more on Orwell's works. I would definitely recommend this book to people as a captivating biography. 
Bowker, Gordon. Inside George Orwell. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003. Print. 

No comments:

Post a Comment