Monday, December 8, 2014

The Novelist's Guide to Writing

By Cameron R. 

This Book really focuses on the craft of writing, especially writing novels. Robert J. Ray is a full time English teacher during the week, but a novelist during the 52 weekends of the year. Robert J. Ray found a way to write novels on the weekends, and focus on his job during the weekdays. In this book, Ray lays out a step by step process on how to write a novel during the 52 weekends odd the year. He tells readers how to craft a good novel. He talks about creating the characters, building scenes, setting the plot, working on key scenes, writing various drafts, and finally writing the draft that will be published, which is the final draft. Robert Ray has published 6 books in six years.




I really liked reading this book. It gave me some tips on writing my novel in November. Getting through the first draft was tricky, but with the tips from this book, I was able to better my novel. I really liked how he gave a lot of examples on what he was talking about instead of just listing them. The only thing I didn't like was that I didn't like the act one, two, and three breakdown, because my book wasn't really split up that way. It would've been nice to see some actual word values, like write 5,000 words a weekend, or something along those lines.

Other than that, it was a really good story. I'd recommend it to any people trying to get into the Novel Writing Craft. The book really sets out a good plan to write a novel during the course of the year. It can be found in any bookstore or library



      

No comments:

Post a Comment