Thursday, December 4, 2014

The accountability of war.


By Caitlyn B.

In 1994, a genocide took place in Rwanda; A country in central/Eastern Africa. Fergal Keane was a BBC journalist who got caught in the middle in it. He recorded everything he experienced in a diary. Which is now the book, " Season of Blood, A Rwandan Journey." Fergal describes the lead up the genocide. Historical analysis of the Rwanda, Tutsi and Hutus and the Habyarimana government, all mixed with eyewitness accounts. The things he witnessed were brutal. He doesn't shy away from hiding the realities of Rwandan genocide, especially the orphaned children and massacre survivors.


This book was an interesting read. Nonfiction has never been my forte but this book is something I will always remember. The brutality in it is extremely vivid. The book,  "Night," by Elie Wiesel was something that will always stick to me and this book was much more than that. My favorite part of 'Season of Blood' was the first few sentences.
"I do not know what dreams ask of us, what they come to collect. But they have come again and again recently, and I have no answers. I thought that after the bad nights of last summer of dead had abandoned me, had moldered into memory. But the brothers and sisters, the mothers and fathers and children, all the great wailing families of the night are back, holding fast with their withering hands, demanding my attention." It immediately sucked me in. I had to know more.
But, sometimes I found that things were dragging in the beginning of the book.  I kept losing attention. But overall, this book was an uncomfortable read. It was a necessary one, though. And despite the inhumanity, I feel this book should be taught in high schools. More people need to know what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment