Monday, May 11, 2015

The Wondrous City of Ember


By Sierra S.

I have read The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPau twice. I was in the fifth grade the first time, and I loved it. So much, that I read it again a few years later in the ninth grade.


The story tells of a city located within the grounds of Earth, named Ember. Ember is shutting down and falling apart. The city was only meant to last 220 years, but the directions to escape the underground community have been lost. Ember is approaching it's 243rd year.  
Two students, Lina and Doon are determined to find a way out of the City. Lina discovers an old document in the possession of her little sister Poppy. It's instructions that would tell them how to make it out.  
They then go on an terrifyingly scary and emotional adventure through Ember to make it out. Something that took courage, persistence, and trust.  
One thing I love about this story is the feeling of attending a heroic adventure. Jeanne DuPau does a wonderful job on pulling you into the tragedy of the city, and the heroism between Lina and Doon. She brought you into their lives and their personal friendship.
When I finished the book each time, I felt like I've lost my two closest friends. The characters have made a huge impression on me growing up. They're the kind of well written characters that you would describe as unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment