Friday, May 15, 2015

PS, I Love This Book

By: Veronica B.

     PS, I Love You is the first novel written by Cecelia Ahern, an Irish author who resides in Dublin, Ireland. She has written plenty of books since PS, I Love You, such as A Silver Lining and There's No Place Like Here, although none have topped the best seller's list in Ireland for 19 straight weeks like PS, I Love You did. Ahern's writes contemporary romance novels and has even produced a television show called Samantha Who? based around one her novels. PS, I Love You has been turned into a major motion picture that appeals to most young adults.


    This novel follows Holly and her beloved husband, Gerry. That is, until Gerry passes away from a terminal illness and Holly is forced to face the world alone. Not entirely, though. Before Gerry passed away, he left behind a series of letters that send Holly on little adventures to make it feel like he isn't gone forever. She is only allowed to open one letter a month which forces her meet new people, get a job, and just go on living.
     I found the novel to be whimsical and touching, although I haven't been through what Holy endured, I found myself connecting with her multiple times throughout the story. Ahern did a sufficient job developing Gerry as a character even after his death. The story switches from past to present day seamlessly and the love the characters share for each other is obvious throughout. I found the ending to be predictable, yet satisfying, which isn't something for everyone. For this reason, I would recommend the novel but only if you can endure sappiness and unrealistic romance. The book had me in tears more than once, so if you have a soft heart, I warn you of that.  
     PS, I Love You can be found in bookstores around the world and is also available on DVD.
     PS, I Love You, by Cecelia Ahern, Hyperion publishing, December 2005, 480 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment