Wednesday, December 6, 2017

They Don't Know The Truth


By Mackenzie B.

If I Lie, by Corrine Jackson, is a realistic fiction book. Jackson has written a total of four books including, If I Lie, Touched, Pushed, and Ignited. If I Lie is a book about Sophie Quinn, or just Quinn to most, a teenage girl who lives in the small little town of Sweethaven, North Carolina. Everyone thinks she cheated on her boyfriend of two years….but did she really or is that just what they think?


Quinn's boyfriend, Carey Breen, isn't just some guy or just another regular boyfriend. He's 18, freshly out of high school, and currently in the military serving overseas as a Marine, and in Sweethaven everyone knows someone who has served or is currently serving their country. So, when a scandalous picture goes around of Quinn with another guy, word spreads like a wildfire and soon she's no longer "the girl who is dating that 'damned-fool hero Carey'" (Carey got the nickname of "damned-fool hero" after standing up to Jim Winterburn, a drunken veteran, for beating the crap out of his little girl). She quickly becomes "Sophie Quinn, the girl who cheated on her beloved boyfriend." Except...she didn't actually cheat. She could tell the truth and clear her name...but she won't cause that means revealing secrets that aren't hers to share, secrets she promised to keep. So, she decides to stay quiet and wait for Carey to come home. But somehow, someway Carey goes MIA. What does Quinn do now? Keep her promise and stay silent, or tell the truth and clear her name? How far is she willing to go to protect those she loves?
Overall, I thought If I Lie, by Corrine Jackson, was a phenomenal book. It left me wanting to read more and wondering what would happen next. As I read along, I was asking myself  "does she share the secret?" and "do they find Carey?" along with many more questions. The book was well written and had an amazing storyline. It was filled with humor, drama, and suspense.
I would highly recommend If I Lie to all teenagers who like realistic fiction books. It is by far at the top of my recommended list. I would re-read this book many times over the course of the next few years...that is how much I greatly liked and enjoyed reading this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment