Monday, June 8, 2015

The Situation and the Story



By Sonia Gauvin

This book is about teaching writers who are already experienced with narrative writing, how to expand their skill. One line that really stand out to me when describing this book is "How do you turn the boring truth of your life into a story worth telling?" That quote is the first line on the back of the book. This book is about showing the audience a narrative story and not just telling it because this skill is what defines an amateur writer and an experienced writer. The author, Vivian Gornick doesn't try to cover a lot of ground superficially,but lays out one main idea and goes into it in depth by using a wide variety of examples to illustrate her ideas.  You can tell that this writing tool is based on Vivian's  many years of teaching creative writing because it focuses on ways of making narratives interesting and not about being obsessed with yourself.


I particularly enjoyed this because I am currently  in the process of making a zine to distribute to other artists who enjoy zines. Since it is my first time making one of these, I want it to stand out and since my zine are all narrative stories with a common theme, this has helped me along the way. This book makes me feel like Gormick is actually teaching me in person with my writing and giving me tips. As a reader, you can tell she is extremely experienced and knowledgeable about what she is talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment