Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Perfect Read?


By Alyssa Gillin


The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger is a story based on true events about a group of five fishermen who were put up the job of fishing in the Grand Banks of the shore of New England. They are traveling  from Gloucester, Massachusetts. Each fishermen was expected to receive up to five thousand dollars based on how many fish they each caught. Once they get the amount of fish they think will be enough to be financially suitable to go home, they hear a report that three massive storms are about to hit the Grand Banks. These storm will collide to produce the "perfect storm" that only happens usually once every one hundred years, and these five fishermen are right in its path.


I thought this thrilling true story was horrifically interesting to read. The introduction seemed to be long but once you got into the book, it went by very fast, especially towards the end. If you are afraid of the ocean as it is, I wouldn't recommend reading this book. Junger goes into terrific drawn out detail about how one drowns. The descriptive language in this novel was truly amazing. When reading how the ocean was behaving, I could easily picture it in my head.
Junger introduces the world of swordfishing and cod fishing to his readers, which personally, I believed made the story go slower as I am not quite into fishing. Although, once the action with the storm picked up, I was filled with suspense. The gruesome encounters of death all aboard the ship was painfully intriguing to read.
Over all I thought that this was a solid read. I would recommend this 

book to anyone who wants to be taken upon an adventure with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment