Friday, October 10, 2014

The African Queen is Royal


By Justin H.


         The African Queen, just one of the many adventure packed books by C.S. Forester that makes you want to read more to see what happens next. Much like the Hornblower series also by Forester, this is a fictional journey that carries you through  detailed and exciting events that the characters endeavor. This exquisite book is about a missionary's sister and a skilled mechanic's mission to destroy a large German patrol boat in North Central Africa during World War One.



         Over all, I liked  The African Queen. It made me want to read more to see what happens next. It used such good detail that I can see the settings, characters, and feel the emotions from them. It turned a bland concept of traveling down a river and destroying a boat into a daring adventure. I liked the characters especially; they had their own characteristics that seemed to mold and effect the situations and each other in a realistic way. However, I thought that the plot could have gone faster. Sometimes it seemed as the setting would get stale, but each transition was dynamic in effect. The ending was not definite and kind of a cliffhanger that left me creating my own ending, happy or sad.
        
         I think that anyone should read The African Queen. I found it entertaining and colorful in its own way and it used some language not usually seen.

You can find this book at your nearest library or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment