Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Yes! We Are Latinos


Yes! We Are Latinos
By Rubiel O.
Yes We Are Latinos is the english version of a book named Si Somos Latinos. This book is compact with short stories and poems of young latinos and latinas who live in different parts of the United States. Most of these stories and poems are based on current events in their lives. The authors Isabel Campoy and Alma Flor Ada are best known for their great children's books, novels, and poetry. They have both won many awards for their literacy work. Isabel Campoy has also written My Day from A to Z, Tales Our Abuelitas Told, and Get Up, Rick! Alma Flor Ada has also written Jordi's Star, Yours Truly Goldilocks, and The Gold Coin.


The book is great, I just didn't enjoy the stories and poems as much as I wanted. Reading in Spanish is a bit difficult for me, I was never taught how to read in Spanish when I was younger. Reading and writing is harder for me than Math because I. could only do math when I was younger. There's also difference between Spanish from one country to another. Where I was born, no one speaks in proper Spanish, and this book was proper, basically some of the words were hard to understand of the way they were being used. If I could read perfectly in Spanish, I'd find this book more enjoyable. I know there was an English version but I wanted to challenge myself and exercise my brain more by reading in a different language.
If you like short stories that make you smile here and there, I believe this book is right for you. There is an English version so it wouldn't be harder for you to read. You could find these books at school, the local library and online. If you are willing to take the time to go on a journey in your imagination, then read Si Somos Latinos.
Si Somos Latinos, by Alma Flor Ada and Isabel Campoy, Charlesbridge, 2013, 96 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment