Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A New Start


By Josh K.


Magical Kingdom for Sale-Sold! Is the story of Ben Holiday, a very successful trial lawyer from Chicago. Holiday is mourning the tragic death of his wife and unborn child when he stumbles upon an add in an upscale Christmas catalog offering one "Magical Kingdom" for 1 million dollars. At first he is unsure on whether to accept the offer, but after realizing he wanted to start a new life. He receives a medallion and is transported to the magical kingdom of Landover. Ben learns that Landover has not had a proper king in close to 20 years, and it is slowly killing the land of its magic.



I enjoyed this book. I connected and felt for some characters I barely knew for a couple pages. I felt as though I would feel remorse if any character in this book were to be injured or hurt, even some of the antagonists. Magic Kingdom perfectly illustrates the diversity in characters from every genre. It made me feel bad for Ben Holiday's wife, a character I never even met.

I did have a few problems with the book though. The most prominent problem was predictability. About halfway through the book I begun to realize that in no way would the main characters of the story be mortally wounded in anyway. The author would not dare kill off any prominent figures, not giving me a sense of worry as a reader. The book also always managed to get extremely lucky with no explanation. In the end they attempt at explaining why the main character was saved, but the explanation doesn't line up with the rest of the book.

Up to this point I never knew that this book even existed until my teacher managed to pick it out for me. I believe it deserves a bit more credit to its name. I would say I enjoyed this book when I finally sat down and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment