Friday, November 7, 2014

‘Romance, Tears And Laughter’

By Kendra M.
Everyone loves a romantic novel, including myself. That's why I fell in love with John Green's 'The Fault In Our Stars'. 'The Fault In Our Stars' was an absolutely amazing book. I loved every minute spent reading the book and wouldn't change a single thing about this book. Yes, even the ending.
Hazel Grace Lancaster, the narrator, is a sixteen year old girl who has cancer,  specifically thyroid cancer. She talks about how her parents made her attend a cancer support group where she meets Augustus Waters, a seventeen year old who also has cancer. Augustus only has one leg because he has Osteosarcoma, which led to him having to get his leg amputated. Hazel ends up falling for Augustus and the book follows their love story through Hazel's point of view. John Green has written several other books including 'Looking For Alaska' and 'Paper Towns'. He typically writes young adult fiction and is most famously known for writing 'The Fault In Our Stars'.


This book made me cry, I'll admit it. It was a very touching story and I couldn't help but get emotional over it. This book also made me extremely happy. I loved reading about their love story and I smiled every time I picked up the book. It was the kind of book you get excited to read, the one you can't stop thinking about. Every time I would pick up the book I would go into my own world and everything else seemed irrelevant to me. I can even say I chose the book over TV, that's saying a lot. Hazel Grace became someone who I felt for, and Augustus became someone I wanted. I kept thinking throughout this book "If only boys were more like Augustus." I smiled every time Hazel would talk about Augustus and I couldn't help but get super happy when Augustus would say something extremely charming. Augustus made the book, he really did. In some way Augustus became the main character of the book at times.
After reading this book it has made me want to seek out other books that John Green has written, such as 'Looking For Alaska'. I would hands down recommend this book to anyone. It is an amazing book that takes you on an emotional roller-coaster. The only warning I have with this book, don't read it out in public.
The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green, Dutton Books, Jan 2012, 318 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment