Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This lacked a clever title and did not utilize paragraphs


By Spencer F.

This book is the closest thing to rational comedy that I can enjoy. How to Lose a Battle  is a selection about military blunders ranging from The Battle of Arbela to Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam. It is of adequate length from a book of this type, and weighs in at 325 pages. It depicts both parties involved in these blunders with respect most of the time and when it doesn't, it is for good reason. The inclusion of the exodus is the only thing I can criticise in this piece. The Exodus was a Bible story that should not be considered in a nonfiction book like this. The discussion about the battle of Gettysburg does make sense, although I don't see the purpose of The Century Magazine section of that particular piece however. The battle of Arbela was particularly well described. Other than that the writing is solid. I encountered few grammar errors, and overall a good read. I would recommend this to anyone interested in famous and obscure failures in battles. I would also recommend this to anyone who is in the JROTC, showing what not to do is sometimes the best way to show how to do something. I would definitely recommend buying this book, for the fair price of $14.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment