Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Who Is Alice?


Who is the Author of this Book Review?
Sometimes it can be almost thrilling to read a book and have no idea who the author is. With Go Ask Alice, that statement couldn't be more true. This book is a diary belonging to a 15 year old girl. The girl's name is unknown, but her journey through life becomes the exact opposite. At the beginning of the book, it starts off much like how you would expect any normal 15 year old girl's diary to start off. However, things quickly take a turn for the worse and it somehow continues to go downhill just when you think it's not possible for her life to go any lower. It's all very intriguing to really see through the eyes of someone who doesn't live a very ordinary or healthy lifestyle.


The plot for this book was great and kept me wondering what was going to happen next, but then at some points I feel like I was left to wonder too much. Since it's a diary, I was only able to know what was going on through the entries that were written. Some of these entries felt like they were too short and didn't really contribute much to the book. There was also times when the entries wouldn't be written for quite a while, so a lot of what happened to the girl between then wasn't discussed. That would be a little confusing at times because I would be lost in what I was reading, and left to wonder how she got to where she was. Depending on how you look at it, I guess that could actually add to the book since it does have a very dark and mysterious tone throughout all of it.
Another thing that I'm not too sure if I liked was the ending. It was very abrupt and leaves the readers to think whatever they want. It's possible that the girl got tired of writing in her diary, or it's possible that she got caught up in her bad habits again and stopped writing in her diary because she died. Both endings are so different from each other but both are possibilities. Wondering about the ending and what happened to the girl kept me up for hours after I was finished reading this book. The reader never gets to know her name and you have no idea exactly how much of this diary is true and how much of it was made up. This is both annoying and also a good selling point because if you're anything like me, those two factors will keep this book in your mind for a long time.
For anyone that can handle dark, real life events, Go Ask Alice is a perfect book. I didn't want to stop reading it for anything once the entries got more intense. This book made me feel like I was the one living this girl's life and going through everything she went through. The second it was over, all I wanted to do was research who really wrote this story and find out everything I could about what was real and what was not. The story doesn't feel like it's over after you get to the last page, and that's something I think everyone should experience at least once in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment