Tuesday, March 4, 2014

'Divergent'


By Marisol M. 

Author Veronica Roth is a captivating writer in the Divergent Trilogies; she keeps your nose stuck in the book and wanting you to find out more and more about what will happen in the next chapter. Beatrice Prior lives in Chicago where society is split up into five different factions - Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Erudite (the intelligent), Candor (the honest), and Amity (the peaceful). When you reach the year of 16, a ceremony is held at which you choose which faction you would like to live the rest of your life in. Beatrice has to make the ultimate decision; whether she wants to show the world who she really is or to stay with her family. When she chooses the faction she would like to live in, everyone is astonished with her decision. 

When Beatrice leaves to her new faction, her goal was to start a new life and forget everything. She renamed herself Tris and started a new trail in life. Tris is conflicted with a very intriguing secret that has to be hidden from anyone and everyone. If her secret is discovered, it will put her at risk to death.  Conflict is grown between factions, who lead to even greater struggles and Tris believes she has a plan to stop this battle.
I would have to say that Divergent is now one of my all-time favorite books. When I was reading the first few pages, I will say it was a bit dry. But when it came to chapter two, I did not put the book down. I read it non-stop and enjoyed it very much. One thing I would like to point out that I did not like was the ending. It is not that it was bad, but it was of what happened. I wished that things turned out better for Tris and her small family.
Roth did such an amazing job with using vivid details with this book. When I was reading it, it felt very lifelike with the details she was using. I was completely mesmerized with the entire novel and plot. Throughout the story, the settings were not only descripted very well, but the scenes were just phenomenal. The characters had such great personalities and their dialogs felt so realistic. There was a scene where Tris was trapped in a box with water that was being drained into it. The details Roth used were unexplainably astounding. When I was reading the scene, it felt as if I knew what Tris was feeling when she was crying for help or when she was pounding the glass with her fists but it would not shatter. I would just have to say that Roth did an amazing job writing this novel; the scenes, details especially, and characters. I cannot wait to see where Tris’s journey goes in Insurgent.
Should my readers seek out the book that I am reviewing and read it themselves? Definitely! I am not a big fan of reading but Divergent definitely charmed me and got my attention. If you hunt for a novel with a lot of action, concealed romance, and just hint of adventure, you should read Divergent. It will really grasp your attention and make you continue to read chapter after chapter. You can find this novel at your local or school library or get it off of iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment