Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Girl's Guide into having fun!


By Sanam P.
March 3, 2014

                Sofi Mendoza’s Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico is a story by Malin Alegaria. Sofi Mendoza was born in Mexico. She had spent most of her entire life with her parents in California.  She is a high school senior and she decides to go to her friend’s weekend party, which she had to cross the border for. Sofi didn’t know that her green card was expired until the border patrol told her. Her parents have a hard time finding the paperwork she needed to cross the border. Luckily, her parents know some relatives that live in Mexico. Sofi was popular at her high school. She was going to miss her prom and her graduation. Her relatives live on a ranch and she is used to having a big bedroom and pretty clothes. Sofi has to go through a lot that she is not used too.


            I liked how the book was organized and how the book was different from other books that I have read.  The summary they gave in the book made the book exciting. What I did not like was how they made make believe words and the cover of the book was not that eye-catching. If though I did not like the cover, I do not judge by it.  I thought it was kind of childish and not for high school teens.  The beginning was a great start and the ending was not that dramatic, but it worked.
            If you are interesting in fiction books and like stories about drama, you should definitely read this book. I myself think that people will be into to it and will not be able to stop reading it. I have never read one of Malin Alegaria’s books before and I think I will read more of her books. People who are into these types of books should find out more about it.
            Sofi Mendoza’s Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico, by Malin Alegaria, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers , 2007, 291 pages
            

No comments:

Post a Comment