Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Story That Will Haunt You (In The Best Way Possible)


By Katie H.
Shadowland, the first book in Meg Cabot's Mediator series, is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. It has a fairly mundane beginning -- Suze is new to California, moving into an old house fixed up by her new stepfather. She tries to make the best of the situation, as anyone else would, and it's not until she sees the dead guy in her bedroom that the reader realizes she's not as ordinary as she seems. She's a mediator; one of the living but able to speak to the dead. Usually, the ghosts she meets use her to pass over to whatever afterlife comes next, but her new roommate, Jesse, has no interest in that, and neither, it seems, does the ghost at her school -- the one hellbent on revenge.


Shadowland is one of my favorite books. I've read it many times, and it's been my go-to novel to reread when I have no new books to go to instead. The characters and the relationships between them are enough to make it worth reading, not to mention the plot that always keeps you on your toes. The only problem I have with this book, a recurring issue throughout all the Mediator novels, is the repeated use of the phrase "I mean" to end a sentence, but it's easy to overlook due to the great story.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in either the supernatural or high school novels. It won't disappoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment