Friday, January 12, 2018

“This is the part where you laugh.” I didn’t think I wouldn’t laugh


By christopher O.

They say that tragedy and comedy are two sides of the same coin. Well this book makes you look at both sides at the same time. There has never been a book like this that kept me on the seat of depressed and interested at the same time. This book is very comparable to real life and the whole "Shit happens" feel that comes with it.


The story has no real  goal the main character trying to achieve at the end of the book. I guess the things that drive him other than real life responsibilities would be his passion for basketball, and his challenge to sleep outside for 100 days. The life him and his best friend and poet Malik, or "Creature" are anything but comfortable. With basketball and dreams of going somewhere in life being there only hope, they get by as best they can in their unprivileged trailer park.
I personally don't like basketball, or relate most of the characters day to day struggle. But there is something about it that keeps me reading interested. I also come across certain situation that could've been written into a funny scenario, but the author instead decides to take a realistic approach. It doesn't really make the story depressing, or comedic, but that raw interests that remains make me want to read more. So if you are looking fo a book with a unique flavor to it, I would recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment