Monday, January 25, 2016

Just Take It Bird by Bird

By Cristle C.

Anne Lamott is an American novelist, non-fiction writer a political activist, public speaker, and writing teacher. Her most recent novel, Days Like This, was created with multiple authors. This included James Patterson. Bird by Bird is a writing craft book. In this book she shares her knowledge and techniques to help you create a work of art on your own.



Lamott provides her personal experiences of how she overcame obstacles when it came to writing. Her thoughts on character, plot, setting, etc. are extremely helpful. After reading this book I found myself going through the work I had written and changing it to what she had advised. After that I enjoyed my work and was much happier with the direction it was heading in. One worry that I had when trying to find a book on writing craft that I should read was that I would have no interest in it. There were a few books that I originally picked up but started to dislike because I felt like I was being lectured. They were incredibly boring and I began to resent every page I turned. Lamott not only gave good advice but she was also humorous. I enjoyed every second spent when reading Bird by Bird. The only thing I'd have to disagree with is her opinion on who writes and why they do so. 

Too many books on writing sugar-coat everything. They make it seem like every aspect of writing is enjoyable and fun. Anne Lamott was honest and brought light to how difficult writing is. She talks about self-doubt and other things that are inevitable when it comes to writing. I found myself wanting to underline my favorite parts, but I couldn't do that because it was a library book. Bird by Bird doesn't have to be just for writers. I believe anyone could find it entertaining, and could also enjoy the inspirational quotes that are worthy of hanging up on a wall. 


Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott,1994, 237 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment